These Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits are also dairy free, soy free, egg free, nut free and vegan.
Hi friends! Are you ready for an incredible biscuit recipe? A recipe that will make you feel like you’re sitting in KFC eating biscuits and chicken. These are seriously so authentic. They’re salty, buttery, soft and flaky. They’re just incredible. Really just a great biscuit. I make these all the time for big dinners when I wish I had rolls like everyone else. These would be perfect to bring to your Easter dinner.
This recipe is so simple. I’m using my Gluten Free Self-Rising Flour Blend to keep things easy. This blend already contains your baking powder, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Which really ends up saving a lot of steps in your baking. Normally you have to roll out biscuits and cut them. I skipped that step and just used a cookie scoop to make these drop biscuits. I then used my hands to shape them. This technique means you can get these in your oven faster and get them in your tummy sooner. 🙂
Preparing the Gluten Free Biscuits
Like I said in step 3 of the instructions down below, you can either use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the cold dairy free butter into the dough. I always prefer using my hands because I like to be involved with my food. Silly I know, but I just enjoy the process. If you use your hands just pinch the chunks of dairy-free butter and smoosh them into flour.
This is step 5 of the instructions. I have already dropped the dough onto a greased baking sheet and am now forming them into discs. Next, I’ll push my thumb lightly into the center. As you can see, it’s easy to form them into discs without needing a biscuit cutter.
They will be a nice golden color once they are done baking. They should be soft, but not wet. As you can see they are very buttery and have a nice soft flaky texture in the center. So yummy! I can’t stop eating them.
Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Gluten Free Self-Rising Flour - an Eat or Drink recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter must be cold - for inside biscuit
- 2 tablespoons dairy free butter - for melting on top
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with oil or dairy free butter.
- Whisk almond milk, mayonnaise, coconut sugar and apple cider vinegar together.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper. Then cut in your butter. You can use your hands or pastry cutter to combine. I always use hands and just squish it around until margarine is incorporated. You want it to be the texture of little pebbles.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients. Use a spoon or your hands to mix until just combined. Again, I prefer using my hands. Be sure to not over mix.
- Using spoons or a 4 oz cookies scoop, drop the dough onto your baking sheet. Use your hands to shape each biscuit into small discs. You also want to press the center in slightly with your thumb, the center will puff up so this ensures they don't turn into little balloons.
- Spread melted butter onto each biscuit.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown on edges. Be sure you don't over-bake. They dry out if they are over-baked.
- Enjoy while warm! You can reheat in toaster, oven or microwave.