These Vegan Black and White Almond Butter Cups are suitable for vegans and vegetarians. They are also dairy free, soy free, egg free, and peanut free. This is a great homemade candy for yourself or your kids with food allergies, it’s perfect for Halloween.
I love almond butter cups. They are easy to make and such a tasty treat. It’s easy to find dairy-free chocolate chips these days to use for your vegan almond butter cups. This recipe is an almond butter cup with a twist. Today I’m bringing you my updated Vegan Black and White Almond Butter Cups. Instead of the standard dark chocolate layers, I made one dark chocolate layer and one vegan white chocolate layer. YUM! The dairy-free dark chocolate tastes like fudge and the vegan white chocolate is creamy, light, and delicious.
I originally published this recipe back in October of 2017. I decided to remake them since the pictures were poor quality. While remaking them, I made a few tweaks to the recipe to bring you even creamier tastier Vegan Black and White Almond Butter Cups. The addition of soaked cashews makes this white chocolate perfect.
Finding Vegan Chocolate Chips
Finding vegan chocolate chips is actually not that hard these days. Some grocery stores like Wegman’s and Trader Joe’s even have chocolate chips that are naturally dairy free. However, if you want a trusted dairy free and soy free chocolate chip brand I suggest Enjoy Life Chocolate chips. You can buy them for a great price on Amazon when purchasing in bulk. Vitacost is also great for Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips and they often do sales specifically for Enjoy Life.
What are Cocoa Butter Wafers?
If you have ever looked at the ingredients of chocolate you often see the words, “cocoa butter”. No, it is not a form of dairy butter. Cocoa butter is actually a fat made from the cocoa bean. It is often included in chocolate bars and chocolate chips because of the creamy texture and subtle chocolate flavor it has.
Traditional white chocolate is primarily made of cocoa butter and cream. The cocoa butter gives it the rich flavor and the cream, of course, makes it creamy. Since people with a dairy allergy or vegans cannot have heavy cream I chose to use a combination of cocoa butter, coconut oil, and soaked cashews to make my white chocolate smooth and creamy.
You can purchase cocoa butter in the form of wafers on Amazon. I suggest getting wafers instead of a block of cocoa butter because the wafers are much easier to work with.
If you like these Vegan Black and White Almond Butter Cups or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to scroll down to the comments section to rate the recipe ☆☆☆☆☆ and let me know your questions, thoughts, and opinions. Your comments help me know what content to keep creating.
If you think your friends would love this recipe too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons below.
Vegan Black and White Almond Butter Cups
Dark Chocolate Layer
White Chocolate Layer
Almond Butter Filling
- 10 teaspoons almond butter
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
Dark Chocolate Instructions
- Microwave all dark chocolate ingredients in 30-second intervals. Be sure to not exceed 30-second intervals to ensure you do not burn the chocolate. Mix thoroughly with a whisk after microwaving for 30 seconds. It should only take about a minute total.
- Pour the chocolate into the bottom of your cupcake liners. Swirl your pan around so the chocolate coats the edges. Then freeze until solid - could take about 30 minutes. You want it frozen so that it doesn’t melt when you do the next layer.
White Chocolate Instructions
- You'll want to melt this mixture on the stove as the cocoa butter takes longer to melt. In a small pot on the stove add cocoa butter wafers and coconut oil. Melt ingredients on medium-low until completely melted.
- Pour the melted fats into a high powered blender and add in the rest of your white chocolate ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once the dark chocolate is frozen spoon about 1 teaspoon of almond butter onto the center of each cup. Spread the almond butter down slightly with a spoon.
- Pour on the white chocolate mixture. You'll want to fill the cupcake liners nearly all the way up with the white chocolate mixture.
- Freeze or refrigerate until solid. You can enjoy them frozen or refrigerated.