These Black and White Vegan Almond Butter Cups are suitable for vegans and vegetarians. They are also dairy free, soy free, egg free, and peanut free. This is a great homemade candy for yourself or your kids with food allergies, it’s perfect for a dairy free Halloween.
*I recently updated this recipe for an even better taste and texture. I also included an option that uses Toll House vegan white choclate chips. This option makes these cups even easier to make.
Vegan Almond Butter Cups are so delicious. They are easy to make as long as you have some dairy free chocolate hand. It’s easy to find dairy-free chocolate chips these days to use for your vegan almond butter cups.
These vegan almond butter cups are a fun twist on a classic. Instead of just using dark chocolate I also included a vegan white chocolate layer. You have the option of making the white chocolate yourself or you can now use the new Nestle Toll House vegan white chocolate chips. I found my bag at Walmart but I’m sure other stores will start carrying them soon as well.
Finding Vegan Chocolate Chips
Finding vegan chocolate chips is actually not that hard these days. Which means making vegan almond butter cups is pretty easy. Some grocery stores like Wegman’s and Trader Joe’s even have chocolate chips that are naturally dairy free. However, if you want a trusted dairy free and soy free chocolate chip brand I suggest Enjoy Life Chocolate chips. You can buy them for a great price on Amazon when purchasing in bulk. Vitacost is also great for Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips and they often do sales specifically for Enjoy Life.
Finding Cocoa Butter Wafers
If you have ever looked at the ingredients of chocolate you often see the words, “cocoa butter”. No, it is not a form of dairy butter. Cocoa butter is actually a fat made from the cocoa bean. It is often included in chocolate bars and chocolate chips because of the creamy texture and subtle chocolate flavor it has. That’s why it’s perfect for these black and white vegan almond butter cups.
Make Your Own White Chocolate
Like I mentioned above I give two options for this recipe. One is to make your own white chocolate. If you do plan on making your own you’ll need to buy some cocoa butter.
You can purchase cocoa butter in the form of wafers on Amazon. I suggest getting wafers instead of a block of cocoa butter because the wafers are much easier to work with.
Purchasing Vegan White Chocolate Chips
If you just want to buy vegan white chocolate for these vegan almond butter cups you can the Nestle Toll House chips at Walmart. While I have seen a few other vegan white chocolates these are probably the cheapest option for a recipe like this.
If you like these Vegan Black and White Almond Butter Cups or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to scroll down to the comments section to rate the recipe ☆☆☆☆☆ and let me know your questions, thoughts, and opinions. Your comments help me know what content to keep creating.
If you think your friends would love this recipe too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons below.
How to Make Vegan Almond Butter Cups
Making your own vegan almond butter cups is actually quite easy. You just have to melt the chocolates and add the necessary layers. There is some freezing time you’ll have to account for but other than that these are a very low labor dessert.
Black and White Vegan Almond Butter Cups
Dark Chocolate Layer
- 3/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
OPTION 1: Homemade White Chocolate Layer
OPTION 2: White Chocolate Layer Using Store-Bought White Chocolate
- 3/4 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon fine cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Almond Butter Filling
- 10 teaspoons almond butter
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
Dark Chocolate Instructions
- Microwave all dark chocolate ingredients in 30-second intervals. Be sure to not exceed 30-second intervals to ensure you do not burn the chocolate. Mix thoroughly with a whisk after microwaving for 30 seconds. It should only take about a minute total.
- Pour the chocolate into the bottom of your cupcake liners. Use a spoon to spread the chocolate around ensuring it goes sides slightly. Then freeze until solid - could take about 30 minutes. You want it frozen so that it doesn’t melt when you do the next layer.
OPTION 1: White Chocolate Instructions
- You'll want to melt this mixture on the stove as the cocoa butter takes longer to melt. In a small pot on the stove add cocoa butter wafers and coconut oil. Melt ingredients on medium-low until completely melted.
- Pour the melted fats into a high powered blender and add in the rest of your white chocolate ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
OPTION 2: White Chocolate Instructions
- In a microwave safe bowl add all ingredients. Microwave in 15 second intervals mixing in-between until melted completely.
- Once the dark chocolate is frozen spoon about 1 teaspoon of almond butter onto the center of each cup. Spread the almond butter down slightly with a spoon.
Freeze for about 15 minutes just to ensure the almond butter is cold and will not spread.
- Pour or spoon on the white chocolate mixture. If you are using white chocolate option 2 you'll want to be sure to quickly spread the white chocolate out with a spoon after you pour it on. It will become hard once it hits the cold so spreading quickly is very important.
- Freeze or refrigerate until the white chocolate layer is firm. Best kept in the fridge to be enjoyed within 5-7 days. Can be frozen for up to 4 months.