This Recipe Is Free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and nuts. It is also vegan.
I am so happy that I finally cracked the gluten free, egg free, pancake code. I know it sounds weird for someone who bakes all the time, but pancakes have been my nightmare. Waffles? No problem. They always come out soft on the inside, golden brown on the outside and super flavorful. Pancakes? They always end up a gooey mushy mess. I just have not been able to figure them out. Not these pancakes. These are perfection. The perfect buttermilk taste. The best fluffy and slightly chewy texture. The perfect pancake for sure.
Aquafaba for Vegan Egg
I decided to use aquafaba in my pancakes to make them fluffy without real eggs. If you have not deep dived into google for vegan recipes, you probably don’t know what aquafaba is. Well, it’s nothing special, but at the same time, it is a miracle. Aquafaba is a term used for this amazing invention of using the liquid from a can of beans to make fluffy meringue textured eggs in recipes. How it works, I do not know but when I found out I thanked God! Really, it’s that incredible!
A classic buttermilk pancake taste with a not so classic recipe. This gluten-free and egg free pancake is made with aquafaba. A delicious unique way to make egg free pancakes.
- 1/4 cup aquafaba - about half a can of chickpea liquid
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer
- 2 tablespoons warm water - for egg replacer
- 2 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 1 1/2 cup Gluten Free Basic Flour Blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips - optional
- 1/4 cup blueberries - optional
First, you have to make your aquafaba "egg whites". All you have to do is pour your aquafaba into your stand mixer with the whisk paddle attachment and turn on high. You will whisk for about 7 minutes or until it creates soft peaks. Be patient and walk away while it's whisking.
Whisk milk, sugar and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
Whisk egg replacer with water and set aside to thicken.
Melt butter and set aside to come to room temperature.
Whisk your flour and baking powder together until completely combined without any lumps.
Mix your milk mixture, egg replacer, and melted butter.
- Pour your liquids into the dry and mix until combined but do not over mix. A few lumps are better than an overmixed pancake batter.
Now with a rubber spatula carefully fold in your fluffed up aquafaba. Fold in very carefully until combined. You should expect it to lose some air but you don't want to beat vigorously and lose all air.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or pan you like on medium-high spray in a bit of oil. Once the pan is very warm, pour in your pancake mix. If you are adding chocolate chips and blueberries, sprinkle them on now while one side is wet. Once edges are cooked and you can get a spatula under without breaking, flip. Cook until golden on both sides. Adjust heat as needed. You will want to add a bit more oil in between each pancake to make sure they don't stick. If you do that, you'll have no problems.
- Stack, top with syrup and enjoy!