These Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, nut free and vegan-friendly.
With Valentine’s day fast approaching, I wanted to create a recipe that’s perfect for your lovey-dovey day. At first, I was thinking of making vegan chocolate covered strawberries, but then I decided that’s too boring. So what did I make instead? Gluten free strawberry cupcakes with a vegan chocolate frosting. Ta-dah! The gluten-free and vegan chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes were born.
These cupcakes are so light and fluffy. Which is perfect for any date night. The last thing you want in a date night dessert is something that will sit heavy in your stomach. I shared these mini chocolate cupcakes with my family last night and we all downed about 4 each. They’re just so tasty and so light.
To contrast the light and fluffy strawberry cupcake, I did make an extra dark dairy-free chocolate frosting. It adds a nice rich flavor without overpowering the dessert. The combination of the dark chocolate frosting and the moist strawberry cupcake is so delicious. It’s a fun way to really surprise your loved one with something different. Everybody does chocolate covered strawberries, why not make your sweetie some chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes! 🙂
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 6 tablespoons dairy free milk - For Egg Replacer
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg replacer
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound strawberries
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan shortening
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra dark cocao powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons dairy free creamer
- 1/3 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and put cupcake liners in 3 miniature cupcake pans.
- Make your egg replacer egg by whisking your milk and Ener-G egg replacer powder.
- Melt your margarine and set aside to cool.
- Remove the stems from your strawberries and pulse up in a blender or food processor until they reach a chunky pureed texture. Whisk your strawberries with your dairy free milk, vegan mayo and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together your potato starch, tapioca starch, superfine brown rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium sized bowl. Then sift them into another bowl. Then sift one more time back into your last bowl. You'll be sifting the dry ingredients two times. Be sure not to mix the dry ingredients again AFTER sifting, this creates lumps.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the egg replacer mixture and sugar together on medium for about 2 minutes until well combined and until some air is incorporated. Add in about a quarter of your dry ingredients and mix on medium low scraping down sides as necessary. Then add in about a 1/4 of your wet ingredients and mix on medium low scraping down sides as necessary. Be sure everything is combined completely before adding more ingredients. Repeat until all ingredients are added and be sure to end with your dry ingredients.
- Add the batter to the cupcake liners filling them just about to the top. I'd say slightly higher than 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Let cool completely before spreading on your frosting.
- While they are cooling you can make your frosting. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add in your shorting and margarine. Turn your stand mixer onto medium and mix until they are fluffy. Add in your powdered sugar, salt and chocolate powder and mix on medium low until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the edges then add in your dairy free creamer and vanilla and mix on medium low eventually turning it up to medium until everything is combined and fluffy. Scrape down the edges and spread onto your cooled cupcakes.
- Dairy Free Butter: Earth Balance Soy Free Spread or Sticks
- Egg Replacer: Ener-G Egg Replacer
- Dairy Free Milk: Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- Vegan Mayonnaise: Walmart Just Mayo
- Vegan Shortening: Spectrum Organic All Vegetable Shortening
- Extra Dark Chocolate Powder: Hershey's Special Dark Cacao
- Dairy Free Creamer: Trader Joe's Coconut Creamer