This Vegan Bread Pudding is loaded with flavor. It’s a chocolate bread pudding with a delicious hint of cinnamon and vanilla. A perfect dessert for Christmas. This recipe is vegan-friendly, egg free, soy free, peanut free, dairy free, and can be made with or without gluten.
Chocolate and Cinnamon combine in this vegan bread pudding for a delicious burst of flavor. This can be made with most bread but today I feature my favorite bread, Zukkee Kitchen Gluten Free Sourdough.
Choosing the Right Bread
When making bread pudding you just want to make sure you have a hearty bread that won’t just crumble when smothered in the liquid. Especially if you are making a gluten free bread pudding, some breads just won’t hold their form.
I’m featuring my favorite gluten free sourdough by Zukkee Kitchen. It has that amazing sourdough taste, a firm crust, and a delicious soft but hearty center. It works perfectly in this recipe and the sourdough taste pairs beautifully with the chocolate and cinnamon, adding a really unique dimension.
GIVEAWAY ON INSTAGRAM:
For this blog post, I did collaborate with Zukkee Kitchen for a giveaway. If you are reading this the week I posted, you can find a giveaway on either of our Instagram pages.
How to Make Vegan Bread Pudding
The key to making a bread pudding vegan is using some sort of thickening agent to replace the eggs. I chose to essentially make a slurry out of almond milk and flour to give the liquid a thick pudding like texture.
The pudding liquid is made with canned coconut milk, almond milk that has been whisked together with brown rice flour (or any other all purpose regular or gluten free flour), coconut sugar (which can also be replaced with cane sugar, maple syrup, or brown sugar), cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. If you are not using sourdough you may want to add a pinch of salt too. But I found with the gluten free sourdough by Zukkee’s Kitchen, the bread is already salty enough.
You whisk these ingredients together on the stove-top over medium then turn up to high to bring them to a boil. Once the liquid reaches a boil it will immediately thicken and then can be removed from the heat.
To form your bread pudding you just chop up your bread and place it in a greased baking dish. Then pour on your pudding liquid.
Let the liquid soak into the bread while you preheat the oven then bake until bubbly and crisp on the top and edges.
Don’t forget to leave a 5-star rating and a comment if you enjoyed this recipe! And feel free to reach out with any questions.
Chocolate Vegan Bread Pudding – Made with Gluten Free Sourdough
- 1 loaf Zukkee's Kitchen Gluten Free Vegan Sourdough Bread – see blog post about bread options
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons brown rice flour – or any all purpose regular or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips – optional
- Whisk together your almond milk and flour until there are no more clumps. Make sure you do this while your almond milk is still cold from the fridge.
- Add your canned coconut milk, almond milk and flour mixture, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and cinnamon to a pot on the stove-top over medium-heat. Whisk well to combine all ingredients and bring them to a boil to thicken. Once boiling remove from the heat.
- Chop your bread into large chunks and place in a greased baking dish. Pour on your pudding liquid and press it into the bread with a spoon.Optional: Top with chocolate chips.
- Let the bread pudding sit on the counter to soak in the liquid and preheat your oven to 350°F. Once the oven is preheated bake your vegan bread pudding for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and crisp on the edges.
- Let cool almost completely before enjoying.
Want more Eat or Drink content? Here are my 4 most recent blog posts: