This Crumb-Topped Apple Pie is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free and peanut free. It is suitable for vegans and vegetarians. You will love this Crumb-Topped Apple Pie as a dessert to any holiday meal. It has the perfect gluten free and vegan crust and a delicious crumbled topping.
It’s almost Turkey Day also known also known as Thanksgiving. I had so much fun making my desserts for my family dinner. There’s something extra special about making desserts for the holidays. This Crumb Topped Apple Pie is no exception. You will love making this for your family or with your family this Thanksgiving. The Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust is absolutely perfect and the crumb topping pairs perfectly. The apple pie filling is delicious, sweet, and slightly tart. That’s exactly how it should be if you ask me.
Two Ingredients that Make this Gluten Free Apple Pie Special
The two ingredients that really make the flavors pop in this crumb-topped gluten free apple pie are the cherry jelly and the ginger. I have actually been adding ginger to my apple pies for a long time. It really warms up the flavors and gives it something special that some people might not even be able to pin-point. The cherry jelly was a new addition this year. I wanted to add a bit more sweetness and a nice tart flavor. That’s why this cherry jelly is perfect. All the flavors pair so nice together you and your family will love it.
The Perfect Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust
The pie crust is what really makes me happy about this gluten free apple pie. Gluten free pie crust can be so hard to get right. It has taken me many years but I have finally perfected my gluten free vegan pie crust recipe. It is flaky, buttery, and easy to work with. If you are anything like me you’ll probably eat the crust first and then the filling.
Crumb-Topped Apple Pie
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust - click for recipe
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients
- 11 whole apples - I used a mix of SweeTango apples and Golden Delicious
- 1/4 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cherry jelly
- 6 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- First, prepare your apple pie filling. Cut all apples into small 1 inch cubes. This size ensures they will cook through.
- Mix your chopped apples in a large bowl with the rest of the apple pie filling ingredients. Mix very well until apples are completely coated in all ingredients. Let sit to "marinate" while you prepare your crust. If it is a hot or humid day put them in the fridge.
- Prepare your pie crust according to the Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust Recipe.
- Then prepare you crumb-topping - In a medium sized bowl whisk together the oat flour, oats and dark brown sugar for the crumb topping. Cut in the chilled margarine either with your hands, knives, or a pastry cutter. Combine just until a crumble forms.
- Pour the marinated apples into the pie crust then crumble on your crumb topping.
- Bake on top of a baking sheet in case of any gooey filling bubbles over.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until the crust is slightly golden and you can see the pie filling bubbling. You can also test apple tenderness by sticking a butter knife in. They should be ever so slightly crisp but mostly soft.