This Dairy Free Potato Crust Pizza is also gluten free, soy free, egg free, and nut free. It has the option to be made vegan.
Dairy Free Potato Crust Pizza? Have you ever heard of such a thing? This is a pizza in almost every sense of the word. The only difference? The crust. Instead of your typical pizza crust, I used thinly sliced potatoes layered into a nice little circle. Oh wow, are those potatoes delicious as a pizza crust. The center is nice and starchy and the outer edges get crispy like potato chips. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures.
Dairy Free Potato Crust Pizza is an Easy Dinner or Lunch
I’ve actually already made this recipe twice this week! The first time was for my mom and me for dinner and she loved it so much she requested it again the next day for lunch. Luckily it’s very easy to throw together for any lunch or dinner. To make it even easier, you can prepare the potato “crust” ahead of time. Then all you have to do is load up your pizza toppings and bake one more time until your toppings are heated and dairy free cheese is melty.
As with any pizza, you can really have fun with your toppings. I chose to make a homemade sauce. I used some delicious Italian sausage from the farmers market and two different kinds of dairy-free cheese. If you’re vegan you can sub in some vegan meat or just do extra veggies.
Dairy Free Cheese Ideas
Here’s a list of some of my favorite. The two in bold are the ones I used for this pizza.
- Daiya Mozzarella cutting board style shreds – this is a great cheese because of how melted it gets. Does have a funny flavor if you use too much of it or eat it uncooked.
- Follow Your Heart Mozzarella style shreds – this is one of my favorites in terms of taste and price. It does melt but Daiya melts a bit better.
- Parmela Creamery Mozzarella style shreds – This dairy-free cheese is out of this world. Amazing aged flavor, great eaten right out of the bag. Does not melt great though and is VERY pricey.
- Miyoko’s smoked mozzarella ball – has a good smokey flavor. Was a fun option for this pizza. A bit pricey for everyday use.
If you’ve tried this Dairy Free Potato Crust Pizza or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to scroll down to the comments section to rate the recipe ☆☆☆☆☆ and let me know your questions, thoughts, and opinions. I love hearing from you! If you think your friends would love this recipe too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons below.
You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and to see some social media exclusive recipes, tips, and giveaways.
Dairy Free Potato Crust Pizza
- 2 large red or white potatoes
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 8 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Toppings - Leave meat out for vegan pizza
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup dairy free shredded cheese
- About 5 slices dairy free mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Slice 2 large potatoes making each slice about a 1/8 of an inch thick. Fan out in a circle on a pizza pan. Making sure there are no holes for the sauce to slip through.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper and put it in the center of your oven. Bake for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and edges are starting to crisp.
- While the potatoes are cooking you can prepare your other toppings. Make your sauce, cook your meat, slice your cheese, and if you want any additional vegetables to get those chopped.
- Once potato crust is done baking, sprinkle with shredded dairy-free cheese. This first layer of cheese will help hold the potatoes together. Then add your pizza sauce and any other toppings you choose to add. I added cooked sausage and mozzarella slices.
Return your pizza to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until your cheeses melt and your toppings are cooked through.
- Slice as you would a normal pizza. You will need a fork to eat without a mess. Enjoy!
Pizza Sauce Instructions
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until combined and mostly smooth.
- Heat in a small pot until boiling and then reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally. This will ensure that all the flavors meld together.