These Paleo Bagels are the perfect Easy Grain Free Bagel. They are so quick and simple to make. This is also a yeast free bagel recipe making it great for people avoiding yeast. This recipe is gluten free, grain free, yeast free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, and peanut free. It is also paleo friendly and suitable for vegans or vegetarians.
Let me just come right out and say it, these are not your traditional New York Style bagels. They have no yeast so they don’t need to rise, they don’t need to be kneaded and rolled out, and they are not boiled. All you have to do is mix the dry and wet ingredients and simply press the dough into a donut pan and baked. They’re that simple! I wanted to make a really quick and easy grain-free bagel recipe. By leaving out some of the traditional steps, I accomplished that goal.
I absolutely love the taste and texture of these bagels. Both Cassava Flour and Almond Flour have unique savory tastes. They come together so nicely in this bagel. Cassava flour has a very soft texture while almond flour is a bit mealy. By combining the two you get a bagel that is soft like bread with a whole grain like chew. To learn more about baking with cassava flour check out my post, Grain Free Biscuits & How to Use Cassava Flour. In that post, I talk about why not all cassava flour is created equal. The quality really does matter. That’s why I use Otto’s Cassava Flour in these paleo bagels.
If you like posts like this don’t forget to let me know in the comment section down at the bottom of the page. I’m always interested in your questions, thoughts, and opinions! Your thoughts help me know what content to keep creating. If you think your friends would love this post too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Easy Grain Free Bagels
- 1 cup Otto’s Cassava flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder see notes for grain free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax
- 9 tablespoons warm water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease your donut baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix your ground flax and water together. Set aside to thicken while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk all your dry ingredients together. In a separate large bowl whisk your dairy free milk and oil together. Add your thickened flax mixture to your wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and pour in your wet ingredients. Mix very well. You can’t overmix.
- Press the mixture into your donut baking pan and top with your choice of toppings. I topped mine with some Everything But the Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s. You can also top with other toppings like sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, coarse salt, etc.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden and no longer wet to the touch. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out dry. Let cool completely before slicing with a sharp knife. They will slice without crumbling or falling apart but they need to be completely cool before slicing.
If you like this post you may also like the following: