This Easy Sweet Potatoes recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, nut free, paleo and vegan.
Hi friends! When it comes to dinner I think we often get so focused on the main course that we skimp out on our veggies. This sweet potato recipe is the perfect nutrient-rich side dish. Here I’m using purple sweet potatoes, but you can definitely use any type of sweet potatoes you prefer.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are often overlooked as just a starchy side dish. I don’t know about you, but I often take starchy veggies right out of the vegetable category. I mean, come on, potatoes? Where’re the nutrients there? However, that mindset should not be the same when it comes to sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are so loaded with nutrients that some would even call them a superfood. They are high in vitamin C, vitamin B6, a great source of vitamin D, high in iron, and the list goes on. They are also high in antioxidants which can help ward of cancer and also help our bodies with the effects of aging. Purple sweet potatoes, in particular, have incredibly high amounts of antioxidants (which are responsible for the purple hue).
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasting your sweet potatoes in the oven is the best way to bring out the sweet flavor. For this recipe, I chopped the purple sweet potatoes into small cubes. That ensures they get crispy and carmelized. Sweet potatoes are so flavorful on their own, you really don’t have to do too much to them. Here I chose to take a sweet and zesty route. Using The Real Pantry’s chili powder blend for a little kick. Then some cinnamon to really compliment the natural sweetness. This recipe is very easy to throw together, just be aware sweet potatoes do take a long time to bake.
Easy Sweet Potatoes
- 2 whole purple sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder blend
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel your sweet potatoes and chop them into 1-inch sized cubes.
- Melt your dairy free butter and mix in your seasonings. Place your chopped sweet potatoes into a large bowl and pour on the butter and seasonings. Mix very well to coat all of the sweet potato pieces.
- Spread onto your parchment paper lined baking sheet, making sure that they do not overlap. Bake for about 45 minutes or until they are cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Enjoy with any meal!
- Dairy Free Butter: Soy-Free Earth Balance
- Chili Powder Blend: The Real Pantry's Chili Powder Blend