This Egg Free Omelette Recipe is also gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and vegan.
Egg free omelette? Is that even possible? Yes, my friends, it is possible. This is the best substitute for an omelette I’ve ever had. It’s so easy too! What’s the “egg” made out of? Garbanzo bean flour and water. That’s it. I told you it was easy! The texture is slightly chewy and soft with a slight crisp on the edges. The garbanzo bean flour gives it a very savory flavor that is not far from eggs.
Making this omelette is not that different from making a crepe. The mixture looks like crepe batter or thin pancake batter. Then when you pour it into your pan you do want to give it a little swivel to spread it around. Unlike a crepe, it gets a little bit thick and has a nice egg-like texture to the center.
The beauty of this omelette, as with any traditional omelette, you can fill it with whatever you choose. I put dairy-free cheese, ground sausage, and tomatoes in mine. You can put whatever you want in yours though! I say go with what you have on hand. You could put veggies, beans, meat, or whatever else you can think of. You could even have a make your own omelette brunch day on a Saturday with your family. How fun! 🙂
Egg Free Omelette
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch pepper
- Whisk all ingredient together for 3 minutes until frothy and then let sit for 5 minutes so they meld together.
- Preheat and grease a large pan over medium heat. Non-stick pan works best.
- Pour the garbanzo bean mixture into your preheated pan. Lift your pan by the handle and swirl it around so the mixture fills all parts of the bottom of your pan. Let cook for a few minutes until the edges look dry then use a rubber spatula to lift the omelette. Quickly flip and let the other side cook.
- While the omelette is still in the pan, add in any filling you choose (I put in dairy-free cheese, meat, and tomatoes). Fold it in half to cover the filling. Let cook just until filling is warm. Remove from heat and enjoy!