These Gluten Free Vegan Cinnamon Rolls are amazing. They are flaky and buttery and so delicious. These are so simple to make and easy to roll up (unlike most gluten free pastries). These Flaky Cinnamon Rolls are completely gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, and nut free. They are also suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
I made this recipe because I wanted an easy cinnamon roll that didn’t require any yeast or rising time. These are so easy to make and the dough is actually adapted from my Perfect Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust recipe. This dough is flaky and buttery. These rolls have a crisp golden brown exterior and a soft melt in your mouth interior. To make them even better, I topped them off with a vegan sour cream glaze. The tangy sweet glaze pairs so nicely with the rich butter gluten free vegan cinnamon rolls.
Fool-Proof Method For Rolling Gluten Free Vegan Cinnamon Roll Dough
Gluten free dough can be incredibly hard to work with. Gluten is what makes normal dough stretchy and sticky. Without the gluten, the dough just doesn’t want to hold together. That’s why I created this fool-proof method for working with gluten free dough.
I always roll it out between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper. This ensures the dough won’t stick to the rolling pin or crumble as you roll. For these Gluten Free Vegan Cinnamon Rolls, I use the bottom layer of plastic wrap to help roll them up. Instead of trying to lift the gluten free dough with my hands only to have it crumble, I lift and roll it with the plastic wrap. This works so well and makes these gluten free vegan cinnamon rolls so easy to make.
In the below picture slideshow you can see the step by step process for making the gluten free vegan cinnamon rolls.
If you like posts like this don’t forget to let me know in the comment section down at the bottom of the page. I’m always interested in your questions, thoughts, and opinions! Your thoughts help me know what content to keep creating. If you think your friends would love this post too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Flaky Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy free butter – must be cold
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Ener-G egg replacer
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add in your oat flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, powdered sugar, xanthan gum, and salt. Mix on medium with the paddle attachment until completely combined.
- Whisk your egg replacer powder and milk together and set aside to thicken.
- Chop your cold dairy free butter up into approximately tablespoon-sized pieces. Drop them all over into your bowl of flour. Turn the mixer onto medium-low until the butter is broken up into your flour mixture. You want them to be about pea-sized chunks or slightly smaller throughout.
- Add in your egg replacer mixture and mix again on medium-low until the dough comes together.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 2 hours. This ensures the butter is cold and it also helps the dough roll out better.
- (For the next few steps, I suggest looking through the picture gallery in the blog post for guidance) Shape the dough into a rectangle and place the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap. Roll the dough out to create a long rectangle that’s about 1/4 of an inch thick. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Pour on 2 tablespoons of your melted dairy free butter and spread using a pastry brush. Sprinkle on your brown sugar and cinnamon, being sure to cover the dough evenly, but leaving an inch of the dough uncovered at the end. This is where you’ll be sealing the rolls shut. Starting at the long edge opposite of this, lift the dough by the bottom layer of plastic wrap and begin to roll. The plastic wrap will help you roll the dough without breaking it. Continue to roll the dough with the help of the plastic wrap until you reach the end. Use your fingers to seal the end.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of melted butter onto a baking dish. Cut the long cinnamon roll into about 6 or 7 individual pieces that are about 2 inches wide. Carefully place them on your baking sheet and use the palm of your hand to press them down slightly. Pressing down helps create the perfect shape. Spread the top of the cinnamon rolls with your remaining melted butter.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes or until golden brown.
Vegan Sour Cream Glaze
- Whisk all ingredients in your stand mixer with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Once your cinnamon rolls have cooled down spread them with your glaze and enjoy.
If you like resources like this post you may also like the following:
If you want more similar recipes head over to the “Sweets” Recipe Tab Here.