Most gluten free box mixes still call for eggs and dairy. If you’re allergic to eggs and dairy you can still use those box mixes. You just have to make a few changes. An easy gluten free pancake mix that most grocery stores carry is the Gluten Free Bisquick mix. Go grab a box of gluten free Bisquick and I’ll show you how to make gluten free Bisquick pancakes without egg.
The Science Behind an Egg
Ok, can we all accept that my definition of science here is very loose? 🙂 With that said, let’s talk about what an egg does in baking. It brings two elements to your baked goods. Eggs help with binding and rising. That’s why you definitely can’t just remove the egg and expect the same result. And for the best results, you’ll want to make a few different tweaks.
4 Changes to make Gluten Free Bisquick Pancakes without Egg
A flax egg is a great way to replace the binding properties of a real egg. When you mix ground flax with water it becomes very sticky, which is perfect for replacing the egg in a lot of different baked goods. While they are great for binding, they don’t help much to replace the rising properties of an egg. This is why the other changes help.
Additional Baking Powder
The additional baking powder is very useful when you remove the egg from gluten free Bisquick pancakes. Like I said above, Flax Egg doesn’t help replace the rising properties of a real egg. By adding in a little bit more baking powder, you gluten free Bisquick pancakes will stay fluffy and thick.
Additional Dairy Free Milk
Real eggs are very smooth and add a lot of moisture to recipes. As I started to mix my gluten free Bisquick pancakes without any egg I noticed the batter was way too dry and thick. Adding just a 1/4 more of dairy-free milk really helps keep the pancakes soft and fluffy.
Increase Cook Time
Think about scrambled eggs for a minute. You pour a liquid mixture into a hot pan and it becomes thick and fluffy fairly quick. In a sense, that’s what happens when you bake with eggs too. Without eggs in a recipe, it usually helps to increase the cook time just a little bit.
If you’ve tried these Gluten Free Bisquick Pancakes without Egg or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to scroll down to the comments section to rate the recipe ☆☆☆☆☆ and let me know your questions, thoughts, and opinions. I love hearing from you! If you think your friends would love this recipe too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons below.
Gluten Free Bisquick Pancakes without Egg
- Preheat an oiled pan on medium while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Mix your ground flax seeds and water together very well and let sit for a couple of minutes until it becomes slightly sticky.
- Whisk your baking powder into you Gluten Free Bisquick mix.
- Pour your dairy-free milk, oil, and flax seed mixture into your Gluten Free Bisquick mix. Mix with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of pancake mix into your heated pan and spread slightly to create a circle. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. You can press the center lightly to see if they are cooked through.
- Enjoy as is or top with honey, maple syrup, nut butter, or dairy free butter.