These Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes are also dairy free, soy free, egg free, nut free and vegan.
Hi all! I hope you’re having a wonderful week so far. If you’re looking for a great weekend breakfast, these gluten free pancakes are perfect. Not are only are these pancakes gluten free but they are also vegan. They have such a great flavor from the buckwheat. It gives them a hearty whole wheat like texture, while still being soft and airy. Trust me though, these don’t taste like a “healthy” pancake substitute. These are sweet and have a nice hint of vanilla.
I topped these soft and hearty pancakes with a tasty tahini-maple sauce. The tahini goes so well with the earthy flavor of the buckwheat. Then the maple cuts through all those earthy tastes with a sweet richness. It’s a great twist on simply drenching your pancakes with maple syrup. It adds more protein instead of just sugar.
Buckwheat flour, despite its name, is a great wheat and gluten free flour option. It is high in fiber and is a great wheat free whole grain. It can help your body better control its blood sugar. Which is why it’s so great to have in your gluten-free pancakes. While these pancakes do have sugar, the fiber and nutrients in the buckwheat will support your body in processing that sugar properly.
Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes
Tahini Maple Sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dairy free milk
- Melt butter and set aside to come to room temp. I melted my butter right in the pan I planned on cooking the pancakes in. Then when I dumped out the butter it left the plan nice and greased.
- Mix ground flax seed with warm water and set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl whisk together buckwheat flour, potato starch, baking powder and salt and set aside. You can use a spoon but I find the whisk works well to break up any clumps.
- Mix together the milk, vanilla, sugar, cooled melted butter and flax egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Use a spoon or rubber spatula to mix together. Mix only until combined, you don't want to over mix pancake batter. Some lumps won't kill you. While you are doing this step heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and grease.
- Cook the pancakes in the center of the pan. You want the pan warm enough to cook them quick but not too hot where they are burning. Flip the pancakes once the sides looked cooked. Then only cook the other side until center is no longer wet.
Tahini Maple Sauce Instructions
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour sauce on top of your warm pancakes.