These Jumbo Gluten Free BBQ Meatballs are also dairy free, soy free, egg free, and nut free. This recipe uses ground turkey meat but you can also use ground chicken or beef.
Oh yea, these jumbo gluten-free meatballs are a major winner. They’re incredibly easy to make. They are so tasty too. Loaded with flavor from the quick bbq sauce, these are the perfect stand-alone meatball. You could serve these with pasta per usual. However, I think they are so tasty as is, I just like to eat them with rice or potatoes.
Easy BBQ Sauce
The BBQ sauce is so easy to make. There’s really only one quick step. Throw all the ingredients in a small pot, mix and simmer. The true BBQ flavor really pulls through once you add in liquid smoke. If you have never used liquid smoke, that needs to change. It’s awesome. BBQ sauce just isn’t the same without it. The moment I add it to the rest of the ingredients is the moment this sauce starts smelling like BBQ. So trust me, this is one ingredient you don’t want to skip.
Meal Prep for Meatballs
If you want this meal to be even easier, you can prep the meatballs ahead of time. You can even make the BBQ sauce ahead of time. If you make the meatballs ahead of time you can store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
You can also put them in a ziplock bag and freeze for much longer. You will just need to remember to remove them from the freezer the night before you plan on baking them and transfer them to the fridge. If you make the sauce ahead of time you can store it in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
Jumbo Gluten Free BBQ Meatballs
- 4 pounds ground turkey - can sub your preferred ground meat
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/4 cup warm water
- First, prepare your BBQ sauce. Add all ingredients to a small pot and mix to combine, then bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you make your meatballs.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Whisk your ground flax and warm water and let thicken.
- Add your ground turkey meat, oats, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to mush the meat, oats, and seasoning together. Mix and squish until completely combined. Add your flax mixture and mix again until combined.
- Shape your meatballs using your hands and place in a baking dish. Pour on your BBQ sauce. Be sure to cover each meatball completely. Bake in the center of the oven for about 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.