This Keto Fat Bomb is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free and nut free.
Hi friends! Today I’m coming at you with a new trendy treat. A fat bomb! It seems like not too long ago fat was something people tried to avoid. Now people are realizing the health benefits of healthy fats. This keto fat bomb has a yummy chocolate coating and a coconut filling. They are melt in your mouth good!
What is Keto?
The keto diet is a diet that puts your body in a state of ketosis. This means your body becomes a fat burner rather than a sugar burner. To do this you cut down on carbs and increase healthy fats. The idea behind it is correct and does work for a lot of people. Healthy fats are good, low sugar is good, even low carb is good to some degree. I’m sold on all of that. However, just to put my own two cents in, fad diets like this are not the only way and are not always the best way. While I agree that healthy fats are good and sugars are bad. I believe diets like this often lead us to become obsessive about counting carbs and eating. If you know you can be an obsessive person, I suggest avoiding diets like this. Just eat real food, cut down on sugars and increase your exercise. These are very basic steps, but they do work.
What is a fat bomb?
Fat bombs are quick snacks that are high in fat and low in carbs. Since they are fattening, they should not be eaten in addition to another meal. They are ideal when you need a quick burst of energy before or after a workout, but don’t want any extra carbs.
Why do we need healthy fat bombs?
Keto aside, let’s just talk about why we all need healthy fats in our diets. Our brains are 60% fat. Yes, 60%! In order to keep our brains functioning properly (which seems pretty important to me) we need healthy fats in our diet. Do you ever wonder why you get confused and feel cloudy when you skip too many meals? Not eating fats effects our brain! The key to eating fats is finding unprocessed, highly nutritious fats. You can’t go to the movies and get popcorn with extra butter and expect to be healthy. That butter is faker than fake and will do you way more harm than good. On the other hand, you should not be afraid to consume naturally fatty foods like eggs (yes, especially the yolk), avocado, coconut oil or nuts. Again for those of us who can be extreme, I’d like to temper this with saying everything should be done in moderation. You shouldn’t be avoiding these healthy fats, but don’t go on the other extreme and consume nothing but fat. Listen to your body, eat real food, exercise and I can promise you, you’ll be feeling good.
Chocolate Coconut Fat Bomb:
The fat bomb I’m sharing with you today is my chocolate coconut fat bomb. Filled with coconut oil and coconut butter. These little cuties are a great treat to pop in your mouth on a busy day. They are completely dairy free and contain no real sugar. The only sweetener they contain is xylitol. Xylitol is a great sugar replacement. It comes from plants and fruits and has an extremely low glycemic index. The cocoa powder in this treat is a great little boost of energy along with the coconut oil. Easy to make, not too sweet and so melt in your mouth good! The perfect little healthy fat pick me up for any crazy day.
Keto Fat Bombs
Chocolate Coating Ingredients
Coconut Filling Ingredients
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon xylitol
- Line a mini cupcake pan with mini cupcake wrappers.
- In a pan on your stove over medium-low heat, melt your coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, xylitol, and gelatin. Whisk continually until it becomes a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour half of the chocolate mixture into the cupcake wrappers and place in the freezer. The chocolate should only take about 5 - 10 minute to harden in the freezer. Keep the chocolate mixture on the stove at a low temperature to make sure it does not harden.
- In another pan over medium-low heat, melt your coconut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla. When chocolate in the freezer is hard, spoon the coconut mixture on top of each one. Then place back in the freezer for another 5 minutes until coconut has hardened.
- Spoon on the rest of the chocolate to the top of each one. Freeze or refrigerate until solid. Store in your fridge or freezer depending on how hard you want them. Enjoy!