These Mini Pumpkin Pies are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free and peanut free. They are easy to make using my Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust Recipe as the base. Great for parties or holiday dinners. The perfect taste of pumpkin pie with the addition of being easy to grab and go.
Back at you again with another pie recipe. This time MINI pumpkin pies. These little guys are so cute and easy to eat. Normally gluten free crust is so hard to work with that I’d never attempt to make minis like this. However, this gluten free vegan pie crust recipe is perfection. It holds the pumpkin pie filling so well.
The pumpkin pie filling has the perfect flavor and texture. It’s thick and creamy and loaded with pumpkin pie spice. It has all the warm earthy flavors that you want and need this time of year. The creamy filling pairs wonderfully with the buttery flaky pie crust.
Using Gelatin for Mini Pumpkin Pies
I know a lot of my baked goods are vegan because I’m allergic to eggs. Sorry for those who are vegan but these mini pumpkin pies contain gelatin, therefore are not vegan. Vegan friends, if you still want a pumpkin pie recipe, you definitely need to try my pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust. You could use that filling in this recipe as well if you want to make your vegan pumpkin pie mini with a traditional crust.
I chose to use gelatin for this recipe because it adds such an egg like custard texture. It really firms up the pumpkin in just the right way. It’s not to thick and not too soft.
Using Chocolate Almond Milk for Mini Pumpkin Pies
As you can see in the ingredients below, I chose to use chocolate almond milk. The slight chocolate flavor plays really nice with the pumpkin. It’s definitely not strong, but it is there. It just adds a bit more richness that may be lacking otherwise without the eggs. I also like the dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar, the extra molasses flavor goes great with the pumpkin pie spice. If you are allergic to chocolate you can use a different dairy-free milk.
I’m using The Real Pantry’s amazing Pumpkin Spice and Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar. They have such real flavors, incomparable to any other seasoning brand I’ve tried.
Mini Pumpkin Pies
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust - click to be taken to the recipe
Pumpkin Filling Ingredients:
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- vanilla cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top - optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Prepare your gluten free vegan pie crust according to directions through step 7. You will not need to do step 8 since you are making mini pies.
- Get out a muffin pan to place the mini pie crusts in. Using a glass drinking cup or biscuit cutter, cut circle sized pieces of the dough and carefully place in the muffin pan cups. Press down with your hand so that they are snug to the bottom. After all of the dough is cut and in the muffin pans, poke lots of holes with a fork. Pour in some sort of pie weight (ex: store bought, dry beans, rice, corn kernels, etc.) and then place in the oven. Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- While the pie dough is baking you can prepare the filling. Pour all pie filling ingredients into a pot and heat on medium. Whisk until sugar and oil are melted and everything comes together. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the pie dough cups, sprinkle on Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar and then let cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours.