This Recipe is: Free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and nuts. It is also vegan, oil free and sugar free.
Hope you had a lovely weekend! I unfortunately was sicky. Trevor got me sick. I am throwing him right under the bus, yes he got me sick! But honestly (between you and me), it was kind of nice to be sick together. Something about both of us having an excuse to be lazy and cuddly all day was really nice. I always try and look at being sick with a positive view (hard to do… I know). I like to think it’s God’s way of forcing me to rest, which as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not normally good at doing.
Well anyways I’m feeling a bit better today, so on with the show! These guys. These little savory muffin guys. If you get sick of having sweet breakfasts, these guys are the perfect savory morning muffin for you! They honestly taste just like grits! I mean grits are easy as is, I’ll admit that. Except if we’re being honest, sometimes we hit the snooze button too many times and even grits is a hassle. So if you’re really in a rush in the morning and just want a grab-and-go breakfast, then get in the kitchen and bake a big batch of these guys up!
What makes me really happy about these savory muffins, besides how good they taste, is that they are sugar and oil free. I have been trying to reduce both sugar and oil in my diet. I’m not going to be drastic and say cut out, because I could never stick to that. So I’ll go with reduce instead, yea reduce sounds nice. And honestly, I think reducing sugar and oil is something everyone could benefit from. Since these muffins are savory, you really don’t notice you’re missing anything!
Savory Grits MuffinPrint This
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup Eat or Drink’s basic GF flour blend – I always keep a big container already mixed on hand. For 6 cups: 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cup potato starch and 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup cauliflower rice – either use store bought or see my instructions in the Paleo Chicken and Broccoli post
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + some for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper + some for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk up the Ener-G egg replacer, flax seed, baking powder and water until frothy. Let sit while you prepare the other ingredients so it will thicken slightly.
- Whisk corn meal, basic GF flour blend, cauliflower rice, nutritional year, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into muffin pan. You want to fill almost all the way up. I’d say slightly higher than 3/4 of the way. If you are using non-stick you won’t need oil. If you are using a muffin pan that will stick either spray with oil or use silicone muffin cups.
- Bake for 10 – 20 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Best eaten warm and are great re-heated in the microwave! Enjoy!
*If your cauliflower rice is frozen you do not have to defrost. Just be sure to smash frozen bits on counter until they separate most of the way.