This Vegan Almond Cream Sauce is a perfect alternative to a dairy-based sauce or a cashew-based sauce. If you want a creamy cheese-like sauce but can’t have dairy or cashews this is perfect. This sauce is great on rice, pasta, and vegetables. In this recipe, I paired it with some Green Lentil Veggie Pasta. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, peanut free, cashew free, grain free, and
It is so easy to make creamy sauces without dairy. This Vegan Almond Cream Sauce is creamy and cheesy without the need for any milk or cheese. I’ve made many different vegan recipes with soaked cashew, but I often get asked for an almond-based one by people with a cashew allergy. This is the perfect alternative to a typical vegan cashew cream sauce.
Want some creamy cashew recipes? Check out the following links:
How to Use Almonds for the Vegan Almond Cream Sauce
The reason you see so many vegan cream sauce recipes with cashews is because cashews are much softer. Even after soaking almonds are still quite firm and can produce a slightly gritty texture.
These three tips will make your almonds blend up smooth and creamy:
- Soak your almonds in filtered water for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- After draining your almonds peel them. It sounds like a pain but it’s actually quite easy. Much easier than peeling garlic even! After the almonds have been soaked the skins slide right off.
- After making your Vegan Almond Cream Sauce you can pour it through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag for an even smoother consistency.
My Vegan Almond Cream Sauce pairs so nicely with Cybele’s Free to Eat Superfood Green Pasta. This Pasta is
Usually I make pretty well rounded meals and cook a protein, a grain, and lot of veggies. But in case you guys forgot I have a baby, so sometimes I have to make a quick dinner. That’s why meals like this are perfect for when I’m in a crunch. If I don’t have time to make any vegetable sides and just end up eating a bowl of this pasta with some Vegan Almond Cream Sauce I can still feel like I’m eating a pretty balanced meal.
Vegan Almond Cream Sauce with Lentil Veggie Pasta
- 3 cups dry pasta – see blog for details on my choice of pasta
- 1 small onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1 cup soaked and peeled almonds – see blog post for details
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes – optional/add more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon agave
- 1 cup pasta water – if you are making the sauce for something besides pasta you can just use filtered water
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large pot on medium heat. While the oil is heating, peel and prep your onion and garlic. Very roughly chop the onion into large chunks. Smash your garlic with the side of your knife, no need to chop any smaller.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant and translucent (about 7 minutes). If the garlic is burning before the onion is done remove it from the pan. Once they are done cooking remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Cook your pasta according to the box instructions. For fewer dishes, you can use the same pot you just used for your onions and garlic. Be sure to reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water near the end of cook time.
- While your pasta is cooking you can prepare your sauce. Blend your onion, garlic, almonds, all seasonings, agave, and pasta water. Blend until completely smooth. To remove any gritty texture from the almonds and onions you can run the sauce through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. This stop is not necessary unless the gritty texture bothers you.
- Drain your pasta and set aside. Pour your sauce into the pot you cooked your pasta in and heat until it just begins to bubble. Add your pasta back in and mix until combined.
Nutrition facts are only for sauce, does not include pasta.
I am not a nutritionist. The nutrition facts provided are not always 100% accurate and are calculated using general brands and figures. If you need exact nutrition facts please consult a certified dietician or nutritionist.
If you like posts like this don’t forget to let me know in the comment section down at the bottom of the page. I’m always interested in your questions, thoughts, and opinions! Your thoughts help me know what content to keep creating. If you think your friends would love this post too, don’t forget to hit the share buttons at the bottom of the post.