This Recipe Is: Free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and nuts. It is also vegan and can be made paleo.
I’m sharing this delicious recipe because one of my followers on Instagram (plug plug check me out – @eatordrink) requested it! Which made me so happy, because sometimes I draw a blank on what recipes to make for the week. Please please please ALWAYS feel free to email me, comment on a post or dm me on Instagram with requests. I love to hear what you are craving. I love to get challenged on making something allergy free. That’s my favorite part about what I do. Turning foods we all wish we could eat into allergy free versions! So please never hesitate to ask!
Mac n Cheese is definitely not a complicated recipe, but when it comes to making it dairy free there are some things that need to change. When I first started making it with the fake cheeses available (Daiya, Follow Your Heart, Parmela) I thought I could make it the same way you make regular mac and cheese. Just use some cheese, vegan butter and vegan milk right? Wrong. When you try to do it the exact same way it tastes fake and that’s not good. While I love the fake cheese shreds, they don’t always taste great as is. You really need to use them sparingly and use the right seasonings to compliment their flavor. If you use fake cheese plus vegan milk the flavor just gets wacky. I find even if I get unsweetened plain almond milk it still has a slightly sweet taste. So those discoveries led me to this recipe. With just slight alterations I was able to make delicious tasting, super creamy mac n cheese!
It should be no struggle to find good gluten free or even paleo noodles for this recipe. There are so many GOOD options for pasta these days. If you are new to your gluten free or paleo diet and have struggled finding something, email me or comment below and I will list some suggestions! There are still brands out there that are no good, so when I hear people complain about gluten free pasta it shows me they’ve probably only tried that one or two bad brand.
Vegan Mac n CheesePrint This
- 1/2 lb gluten free or paleo pasta of choice (see my note above about pasta)
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese of choice (Daiya, Follow Your Heart, Parmela)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Half way through cooking use a mug or a measuring cup to obtain about 1 cup of the pasta water. This pasta water will be starchy and will help add thickness to your cheese sauce. Set aside.
- Once pasta is cooked drain and rinse most of the way. It does not have to be rinsed completely because you want it to be a little bit starchy.
- In the pot that the pasta was in, combine 3/4 cup of the pasta water, your vegan cheese and your seasonings. Whisk over medium high heat until cheese is melted and the sauce simmers a bit. The sauce should be thick and cheesy, but if you overcook it will loose too much liquid.
- Carefully mix in your pasta until it is covered with your cheese sauce. If it looks too thick add a bit more pasta water. If it looks too thin add a little bit more cheese.
- Enjoy right away!