These Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are also gluten free, soy free, egg free and nut free.
Hi Guys! Do you have your menu planned for Easter? If not, here’s an easy dairy-free scalloped potato recipe. This is my go-to side dish for Holidays. It is one of those classic comfort foods that seems super fancy, but it’s so easy you can make it on any weeknight too! My Grandma taught me how to make Scalloped Potatoes and it was not hard to make some adjustments for my allergies.
My Grandma always said the key to making these taste good is to go HEAVY on the salt and pepper. Salt is kind of obvious since potatoes eat up salt. Even if you’re not a huge pepper personally normally, you’ll be happy to add a lot to these. It really just adds a rich flavor to the potatoes. I also added nutritional yeast to add to that rich flavor. Without real dairy and butter, I found it needed a little something. Nutritional yeast is that perfect little something. It has such a cheese-like flavor, it goes great with this dish.
Layering the Ingredients
This dish is so simple because all you have to do is keep layering the ingredients until you run out of potato slices. I suggest having all your ingredients out and ready with spoons so you can keep moving through each step.
1. Sprinkle with little pieces of dairy free butter
2. Sprinkle with your flour, salt, and pepper
3. Last pour on your dairy-free milk
Continue layering all of your potatoes with butter, flour, salt, and pepper. When you get to the top sprinkle on your Nutritional Yeast Seasoning and pour on your milk.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 - 3 pounds potatoes
- 1/4 cup dairy free butter
- 6 tablespoons Gluten Free Basic Flour Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast - optional
- 1 1/4 cups dairy free milk
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Slice your potatoes into circles that are about 1/4 of an inch thick. Put the first layer of potatoes into your baking dish. You want them slightly overlapping so that there are no large holes.
- Put about 1/4 of your butter, flour, salt, and pepper onto the first layer of potatoes. Then put another layer of potatoes on top of that and repeat. Continue until your pan is full.
- On top of the final layer of potatoes, only put on the butter, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. No more flour on the top. Then pour on your milk.
- Bake in the center of your oven for about 25 - 40 minutes or until the top layer of potatoes is slightly brown and a butter knife can easily be inserted into all layers of potatoes.
- Dairy Free Butter: Earth Balance Soy Free spread
- Dairy Free Milk: Unsweetened Plain Great Value Almond Milk *MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET SWEETENED VANILLA*
- Gluten Free Flour: Bob's Red Mill Organic Brown Rice Flour
- Nutritional Yeast: Bragg Premium Nutritional Yeast Seasoning